September 11th Victim Compensation Fund Special Master Rupa Bhattacharyya released the 5th Annual Status Report along with updated statistics. Click here to see the full March 2017 9/11 Victim Fund report.
The 2017 9/11 Status Report indicates that the highest 9/11 Award amount for “Group B” claims through 12/31/2016 was $2,980,984.94. Of the 2,424 “Group B” compensation determinations made, Turley Hansen can confirm that this award was made to one of our very ill and deserving 9/11 clients. (see page 13 of the 2017 VCF Status Report).
Other important highlights from the 34 page report include:
- Of the 2,424 Group B claims that have had determinations made – 1,876 have been for responders (FDNY, NYPD, FBI, FEMA, EMT, MTA, volunteers and others), 402 have been non-responders (ironworkers, crane operators, laborers, Verizon workers, Con Ed workers, cleaning workers, maintenance workers, truckers, sanitation workers and more) and 55 have been injured residents of downtown Manhattan.
- The vast majority of VCF registered 9/11 victims presently reside in New York State, followed by New Jersey, Florida, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Connecticut and Virginia, respectively.
- The new 9/11 Victim Compensation Fund Special Master, Rupa Bhattacharyya, has increased staff significantly in both the Washington, DC and New York City offices in order to reduce compensation award processing times.
- Jordana (“Jordy”) H. Feldman was named a Deputy Special Master of the September 11th Victim Compensation Fund (“VCF”) in the New York City office. From 2002 to 2004, Ms. Feldman served in the first VCF (“VCF -1”) as a key advisor to Special Master Ken Feinberg and adjudicated eligibility and compensation claims, presided over hearings with victims’ families, and assisted in the development of policies and procedures. She also co-authored the Final Report of the Special Master for the September 11th Victim Compensation Fund of 2001.
- Appeals of 9/11 Victim Compensation Fund decisions and awards have increased dramatically since 2015. There has been a 230% increase in “eligibility” and “compensation” hearings since 2015. There are now 10 hearing officers and support team members in the New York City office.
The 9/11 attorneys and staff at Turley Hansen and Partners commend Special Master Rupa Bhattacharyya and her staff for their dedication to the 9/11 Responder and Survivor community. With the passage of the 9/11 Reauthorization law in late 2015, the work required both writing new regulations and improving the claim process infrastructure was a monumental task in 2016 for the VCF team.
We are glad to report that the 2017 September 11th Victim Compensation Fund Status Report indicates that the state of the 9/11 Fund is strong.